Mustafizur Rahman talks about the challenging quarantine experience

Shakib Al Hasan & Mustafizur

Living in a big bubble is a taxing task both physically and mentally. Bangladesh’s decorated fast-bowler Mustafizur Rahman has been living in a bio-bubble for quite some time now. In the month of March, the pacer was on international duty as he travelled with the Bangladesh team for the Bangladesh tour of New Zealand.

The same was followed by Rahman entering another bio bubble as he arrived in India for the 14th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL). The speedster played his trade for Rajasthan Royals in the now-suspended T20 extravaganza. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) postponed the tournament after there were reports of a potential breach in the bubble.

Four players, two support staff members, and a bus cleaner tested positive for Covid-19 and this resulted in BCCI suspending the league for an indefinite time. Adding to the misery, two more players and a coaching staff member contracted the virus after the suspension.

After the postponement of the league, Mustafizur, along with his Bangaladesh teammate Shakib Al Hasan, left India and travelled to their home country in a chartered plane. Shakib was a part of two-time champion Kolkata Knight Riders in the tournament.

We were locked in one room for nearly five to six days: Mustafizur Rahman

Despite travelling on a chartered plane, both Shakib and Rahman are currently serving a mandatory quarantine period in Bangladesh.

Speaking about the challenges posed by bio bubbles, Mustafizur Rahman told Cricbuzz, “It is very tiring (living continuously in the bio-bubble) and it is getting difficult day-by-day. Hotel room and venue… how long can you enjoy the same routine?

“It is all the same (COVID-19 protocols), whether it is international cricket or IPL and it is difficult for everyone. But there is nothing I can do. I was in a bio-secure bubble in India and I’m now doing quarantine here. We have not travelled like other passengers.”

Rahman further revealed that one BCCI got to know about a player testing positive, all the other players were asked to quarantine themselves in their hotel rooms for their safety.

“After a member of one team was found positive, we were locked in one room for nearly five to six days. We later came in the plane that was rented for us,” he added.